Sunday, March 9, 2014

Pewabic Pottery

This week I did a ton of research, which is great for my project, but kind of boring to blog about. I have decided to dedicate at least a portion of the time in my tutorial to working on the project. Doing this I have gotten a ton or research done. I have been able to cross off a bunch of things on my list that I just haven't gotten around to researching. I learned all about the Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit, the Ambassador Bridge, the Detroit River and the Detroit Windsor Tunnel. Along with all of these I also went through a history of Detroit and got at ton of people and places to learn about.

Yesterday I also got a chance to go to Pewabic Pottery on Jefferson in Detroit. Pewabic Pottery was founded in 1903 by Mary Chase Perry Sttratton. It is the Midwest's only historic pottery and still makes pottery today. Some places where the pottery can be found are the Guardian Building in Detroit, the Nebraska State Capitol, the National Shrine of Immaculate Concepcion in Washington D.C., Comerica Park and Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.


We got to walk all around the pottery, see all the tiles and products they have for sale and we got to see people at working making vases and other pottery for sale. We also go to see a museum that the pottery has dedicated to the past and present artists working there.

What was really cool about the pottery was all the Detroit merchandise that they had. I have a tile with an Old English D on it and my mom has one with the Michigan mitten on it. We also have a Pewabic Pottery Michigan Christmas ornament. They also had a bunch of tiles with Detroit landmarks on them like the Joe Louis fist and the Ambassador Bridge. It was special to see how much they were supporting Detroit and how they were proud of where they come from.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma!
    I truly enjoyed reading your blog this week! I loved the pictures that you included. This makes the blog more appealing and interesting to someone, like me, who doesn't know you. I am able to connect to what you are writing about to the pictures of the places that you have gone to! Keep up the great work and I can't wait to read more!
    -Carley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nice comments!!

      Delete