Sunday, February 2, 2014

Identity Crisis

This week I have been thinking a lot about the future if my project and what I want to do with all the information that I have learned. While at first doing a website seemed like a really fun idea, I have no way to make the information I am learning seem fun and exciting. When I am researching for my project I am very interested and enjoy doing it however once I have to put all the same information up on a website he job gets tedious. 

What I really want to do is make history fun for people, who don't normally enjoy it like I do. I want to try and make the information fun and relevant and I do not think that a website it the best way to do that, however I have no idea what is. Not only am I trying to make history more exciting, I want people to know that the City of Detroit is still exciting, alive and a great place to be. 

A few oft friends have suggested that I turn my historical findings into a book. While I like this idea it seems like a lot of re-writing what I have already learned just like the website. I also don't know if that would necessarily make the information more exciting and relevant. However this week I went to the library and checked out a few books about Detroit and also read a few given to be by friends. The one that made the facts the most exciting was about the Stanley Cup Champion Red Wings of the 2002 season. It was by a Detroit Free Press reporter and followed the Wings from pre-season signings to the eventual Stanley Cup Championship. While it did talk about facts the book also had a lot of funny stories and behind the scenes moments from the season. The author did a really great job of making the book not just about the hockey bur fun and engaging too. What I want to do is work on a way to keep people entertained by Detroit and help to show that it's a great place to be.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma!
    After reading your blog this week, I think I may be able to help you out. Although you said that you don't really care for a website and that it you might not be able to get out your findings about Detroit history in an interesting may, however, this website called StrataLogica is great. They have 3-D maps and you can use these push pins to mark all the places that you have been to. When you use different pushpins you can add text, pictures, and even videos. I have used this website last year in one of my classes to help incorporate more technology into the classroom. The website is very easy to navigate. I will attach a link for you so you can check it out. Hopefully you like it!
    -Carley

    http://www.stratalogica.com/NystromDigital/home/home.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this suggestion, I checked out the website and it looks really cool, I will definitely look into it some more, and consider it for my project.
      Thanks! Emma

      Delete